- Are train fare rises really the problem?
- I do actually think there _is_ a case to be made:
1) Environmentally - if there are people commuting then rail is presumably better for the environment than cars.
2) It makes cities more viable, and therefore helps job concentration.
But I also think that a lot of commuter train subsidies basically allow middle class people to live outside of the city at a subsidised cost. I'd rather that that money went to improving the city and making it cheaper and easier for more people to live there in the first place and not commute at all.
(tags: trains transport money )
- The Labour Party anti-antisemitism saga is starting to look like a Monty Python sketch
- (tags: Labour Jews bigotry wtf politics uk )
- For posterity, here's the BBC's tech correspondent learning what Goatse is in realtime...
- (tags: funny internet BBC )
- Norwegian Student Takes Secret Street Photos In The 1890s
- (tags: history photos )
- Women-fronted films are top three highest-grossing movies of 2017
- (tags: movies women )
- A thread about the potentially very topical subject of the creation of new peers to get controversial legislation through the House of Lords
- (tags: houseoflords politics uk )
- Inside Silicon Valley’s Secretive, Orgiastic, Sexist Dark Side
- Which is, of course, Silicon Valley doing exactly what has happened whenever entitled men get their hands on loads of money.
(tags: sex drugs society Technology )
- Google used a tax loophole to shelter $19.2B
- (tags: tax google holland ireland )
- The Robots Are Coming, and Sweden Is Fine
- (tags: automation jobs society sweden )
- Urinals of the Justice League
- (tags: funny toilets viaJennieRigg comics superheroes )
- Peter Dinklage and Gwen Stefani Sing the best song ever ........... SPACE PANTS!!
- (tags: video music EpicWTF )
- Retirement Planning vs. Quest for the Amulet of Nargoth: Which Is Right for Me?
- (tags: pensions fantasy funny )
Original post on Dreamwidth - there are comments there.