- Edinburgh's Ross Bandstand designs shortlisted
- (tags: design music edinburgh )
- A Neural Network Turned a Book of Flowers Into Gorgeous Dinosaur Art
- (tags: dinosaurs plants ai pretty )
- Amazon Prime Wardrobe lets you try on and return clothes free
- (tags: Amazon clothing )
- Older fathers have geekier sons
- (tags: geek age fatherhood children )
- Sherlock's Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat to get their teeth into Dracula
- (tags: Dracula tv StevenMoffat bbc )
- The story of music is the story of humans
- Are there any other animals that dance? Because "song" seems reasonably common in some senses, but rhythm seems specific to humans
(tags: music humans prehistory )
- I had never heard of deck prisms. Ingenious idea.
- And copied cheaply in poor areas nowadays using a plastic bottle full of water
(tags: lighting history glass Technology )
- Gangs of aggressive killer whales are shaking down Alaska fishing boats for their fish
- (tags: fish sharks usa )
- The Philosophy Force Five vs the Scientismists
- (tags: comic science philosophy funny )
- Maze converted to Spanning Tree (nice visualisation/animation)
- (tags: visualisation animation trees )
- She May Be The Most Unstoppable Scientist In The World
- (tags: yemen women science war )
- If people can see an immediate payoff they'll take it, even if it means they make less in the long term
- (tags: money psychology games information )
- It's reading posts like this that make me feel much more secure in my competence as a programmer
- I remember a job interview where the interviewer handed me a page of printout from halfway through a program, and asked me to explain it.
I said "Well, this is a loop, and it's doing something with a 'salary' variable, and calculating tax in some way, but it's calling off to a function that's not on this page, so I'm not sure what. I'm sorry, I can't tell much more than that, what am I missing?"
And they said "You're the fourth person I've interviewed for this coding job, and the first one who wasn't lying about being able to program."
(tags: programming fail OhForFucksSake )
- Man sent home from work for wearing shorts in over 30°C heat comes back in a dress
- (tags: clothing gender heat )
- The world's oldest still-used bridge
- (tags: architecture history bridge greece )
- US Supreme Court Says You Can't Ban People From The Internet, No Matter What They've Done
- (tags: usa law freespeech internet )
- Queen's Speech summary: Bill-by-bill at a glance
- (tags: politics uk Conservatives )
Original post on Dreamwidth - there are comments there.