To do so I want to attach a log file, so that they can try and work out what's causing it to go ker-thud when I open emails sent using Entourage.
So I install aLogCat, to see if that will give me the logs I need. But it doesn't seem to show a crash - just the messages for displaying the email, followed by the message for starting K9.
Ok - I'll try the other suggestion on their Logging Error page - using the command line and USB debugging.
Which requires the Android SDK (34.8MB). Which I download and install, getting halfway through to discover that...
It requires the Java SDK (80.2MB). Which I download and install. To discover that they've taken the toold I want out of the main install, and I need to download the platform tools.
Which refuse to install. Just saying it couldn't create a folder. A quick google suggests that it doesn't have access to create the folder. So I run it as Administrator. And it works! Huzzah!
So I plug my phone into the PC - first time in over a year, and also first time since I got this PC, so it installs some drivers from scratch, but fails to find some for ADB, which is the command I'm supposed to be using to get the log files. Surely it will "just work"?
Nope, not picking it up. It doesn't seem to think I have any phones attached, despite me turning on USB logging on the phone.
Aha! It seems that the HTC Desire doesn't work with the standard drivers.
Off I go to the HTC website and download HTC Sync (150MB). Which installs some drivers (why they need to be 150MB I have _no_ idea), tells me to temporarily disable my PC's virus software and then installs HTC Sync. I don't actually know if I need to install HTC Sync, but by this point I'm completely bought into the process, have fallen 100% for the sunk cost fallacy*.
Having got that installed, HTC Sync recognises that my phone is plugged in and trying adb it _also_ recognises that there is a phone plugged in. And I can now finally retry the logging, and discover...
Exactly the same, pointless, logging information I got from aLogCat.
So I create the new issue**, and attach the log file anyway (because at least I've shown that the logging doesn't find anything useful.
And now I shall go and do something more productive. Like the washing up, and getting some shirts washed for Monday.
Original post on Dreamwidth - there are comments there.