- A trio of genome-wide studies â“ collectively the largest to date â“ has pinpointed a vast array of genetic variation that cumulatively may account for at least one third of the genetic risk for schizophrenia. One of the studies traced schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, in part, to the same chromosomal neighborhoods.
- Possibly the stupidest thing I've heard all week.
- Since 2000, rising leverage fully accounts for movements in UK banks' ROE [return on equity] - both the rise to around 24% in 2007 and the subsequent fall into negative territory in 2008.
- People who have a particular gene flaw and live alone in middle-age are at highest risk of developing dementia, researchers suggest.
- No, they aren't. Well worth reading
- While violence interruptors work on the streets to intercept and defuse disputes before anyone gets hurt, outreach workers work in parallel to get the same message to the community, through schools and key members such as clergy.
Shootings and killing fell by between 41 and 73 per cent, with drops of 17 to 35 per cent the result of direct interventions by CeaseFire. Retaliation murders fell by 100 per cent in 5 of the 8 communities covered.
- "We can now say, with complete confidence, that Air France Flight 447 was brought down by an unscheduled and unforeseen plane crash," lead French investigator Michel Villon stated. "Indeed, a survey of all the evidence indicates that this terrible tragedy was the direct result of a large airliner falling suddenly from the sky, dropping 30,000 feet, and colliding with the Atlantic Ocean at extremely high speeds."
"This is devastating news, to say the least," Villon continued. "Hopefully our findings here will help bring some closure to the families most affected by this horrible event."
- Anyone want to give me the airfare?
Delicious LiveJournal Links for 7-3-2009
Why hasn't Waymo expanded its driverless service? Here's a theory (tags: automation driving cities taxi ) Every single simplistic election…
Gideon is delighted to try on Sophia's new unicorn tiara. Original is here on instagram. Original post on Dreamwidth - there are…
This doesn't look good: Hartlepool, parliamentary by-election result: Con: 51.9% (+23.0) Lab: 28.7% (-9.0) Ind: 9.7% (+7.5) RefUK: 1.2% (-24.6)…